Saturday, September 10, 2011

Garden in the fall





The garden is coming to a fast end. Wednesday we pulled out all the potatoes and harvested our last meal of beans. The peppers are still hanging on, and we have a couple zucchinis which will grow a little more. Michigan had three nights this week where the temps got into the low 40's, and the tomatoes really felt it. I pulled them out tonight. My lone sunflower is beautiful, and I can't wait to have more next year. I'm going to dry out my pole beans and see how that works, maybe they'll be better dry than eating them fresh, or maybe I can do something decorative with them.

You can see our final mass harvest. I found a cucumber hidden behind some leaves that was way over ripe. We had a lot of potatoes, and next year I'll do a similar amount. The butternut squash is turning tan and I still only have one on the vine. We'll probably get 3 or 4 more Jalepenos, and I have been freezing them. I've also froze whole tomatoes, and Sarah told me to roast and puree them for easy freezing. Maybe next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment