Thursday, November 14, 2013

Egg Watch!

The chickens are 18 weeks old this week, which means they can start laying any day now!  My heart races a little everytime I go out to check the nesting boxes, just hoping there's an egg.  I have two girls who I think may be ready, Coconut has red combs and wattles, and Patty's wattles are bigger than the other Barred Rocks. 


It has been bitter cold this week, frozen water, snow, and grumpy chickens.  I made them some oatmeal/museli one morning and they just picked at it, but it was gone within an hour.  I also changed their waterer, I have read rubber bowls don't freeze as quickly.  I have found when it does freeze the ice pops right out, and I bring warm water in a milk jug out when needed.  They were a little hesitant at first about then new bowl (chicken?) but they have gotten the hang of it, I just hope they don't knock it over onto themselves. 





No comments:

Post a Comment