Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blueberry Cake



Last night we made Blueberry Cake out of our church cook book, and it was the most delicious cake I have ever eaten. That's saying a lot because I love cake. It tasted like something you would get at a bakery, it was even better than Panera Bread. I now understand why the Pioneer Woman always says to drop everything you're doing and make this right now. That is how I feel about this cake. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup butter
2 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup milk
4 cup blueberries
Topping:
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted

Cream first two ingredients; add eggs and mix until light. Sift flour, tartar, and baking soda together and add to mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in blueberries and pour into greased and floured 9x13 pan. Mix sugar and cinnamon for topping and sprinkle over top. Bake 1 hour at 350 if using fresh berries. Add 20 minutes if using frozen blueberries. Pour melted butter over top of cake as soon as cake is removed from oven.

It is also very easy to make, and I had all the ingredients on hand. The topping of sugar and cinnamon seems like a lot, and I admit I didn't sprinkle it all on, but now I wish I had. It's still good, but it forms a crispy crust on the top that is amazing. Next time I will have more of this crispy crust.

I feel like the best recipes come out of church cookbooks. I think it's because people's names are attached, and then the uppity church women will shun them if they're recipe isn't good. This one proves my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment