Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Progress!


















The garden is producing! Last year seemed so easy, and controlled, and there was always rain and no bugs. This year I have had a lot of panic attacks, but it seems to all be working out! The tomatoes are starting to blush, the bush beans are finishing their production, and we have gotten many cucumbers, zucchinis, and jalepeno peppers. The big dissapointments are the green peppers (which were eaten by the deer, so I don't blame them,) the peas, (which were my fault for not planting enough,) and the pole beans (which don't seem too tasty and have been attacked by Japanese beetles.) I have enjoyed the look of the nasturtium, but the edible leaves are useless to us, they are too bitter, but are producing many beautiful flowers.


The broccoli is done for the year, which is good because the winter squash is quickly taking over their plot, and the potoatoes are browning and wilting. We have been enjoying the Jalepenos on nachos, and I enjoyed the burning sensation on my lips and fingernails for hours afterwards. I'm surprised the girls will eat anything that comes out of the garden. They especially like the roasted zucchini and the beans fresh from the bush. We have one remaining sunflower, and it is towering above all our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment