Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Supervised Free Range

Tonight after dinner I let the Cluckers out for the first time.  I was planning on working in the yard and garden, so I thought I would be around to watch them.  They are 9 weeks old this week and really enjoyed chasing crickets.  They got into my garden and tried to get at my tomatoes, and wandered around the front and side yards.  They are such good chickens.  I had to come inside to get Youngest cleaned up and the neighbor ran over to tell me her dog got loose and was chasing the chickens, she couldn't catch her.  I came out to lots of squawking and barking but we finally got the dog cornered and no harm was done.  Peanut was cornered in the garage, but she seemed to be okay too.  By 8:30, all 6 chickens were back in their coop and settled in for the night.  They have started using the higher roosting pole, probably because they're so big now.

In garden news, my sunflowers have all bloomed, my triticale and hairy vetch is sprouting, along with my fall carrots and lettuce.  I left my mini-homestead for 3 days last week for my sister's wedding, and everything survived.  I didn't water, and relied on Oldest to fill the chicks food and water.  I got my first manicure of my life, and so far it's going on 6 days and looks pretty good.  I haven't dug in the dirt much with it though.
Their first taste of freedom

We enticed them to leave the coop with tomatoes and beans


Please ignore the poorly landscaped stairs.  They're a work in process

No comments:

Post a Comment