Friday, August 30, 2013

The scoop of my chicken poop.



I have found that chickens poop a lot and when they are confined in a run all day it kind of stays there and gets everywhere.  They especially poop a lot when they eat an entire bin of almost spoiled spring mix I forgot I bought at Costco last week.  So, I decided to rake all the dead leaves, and grass, and leftover food, and POOP into the corner of the run where the ground is low anyway.  I've read about creating a compost pile inside of the run, and I'm going to try it.  I figure it can't hurt because Winter is coming and I can always use good compost.  They seemed to like digging in the "new" leaves.  And pecking at the "new" dirt.  The dirt also gives them a place to dust bath.  Double Bonus.   I love saying Double Bonus.  It reminds me of my fun, awkward middle school days.  So, my plan is to rake all the poop and debris into the corner often and see how composty it gets by spring.
I'll keep everyone updated.


Chicken Photobomb


No comments:

Post a Comment