Friday, October 4, 2013

Compost Bin Stages

I checked on the status of my Worm Factory Bins this week, and found none of them ready, but was surprised to see they're all in such different stages. 
The bottom right is the most composted, and the top left is still being added to.   I started emptying my vacuum canister into the compost, and I was surprised to find some sequins, crayon pieces, and lots of hair in the trays.  I thought hair was supposed to be good for compost, but I guess when it's over 20" long it takes a while to break down.  I fed some of the worms to the chickens, but they didn't get too excited.   I don't think they like eating such uncivilized food. 
The compost area in the chicken run is coming along very nicely.  It doesn't smell and the chickens scratch in it all day.  I have been raking it every 3 days or so and piling up what they scatter.  Before we go on vacation I am planning on emptying the most "done" worm bin on top to give them something else to peck at.   They will love sequins. 




No comments:

Post a Comment