Monday, October 7, 2013

Salamanders and Swollen eyes

Yesterday morning I went out to feed the cluckers, and Coconut had a swollen eye and her face was all sandy and muddy.  It had rained all night and was still drizzling, so she looked a mess.  I barely noticed the other chickens were going nutso and paying no attention to me, they were all gathered in the corner.  I was chasing Coconut around, trying to grab her when I saw something go flying through the air and the flock chasing it across the run.  Imagine my surprise when I saw they were chasing an alligator!  Quickly coming to my senses I realized it must be a salamander, but it was big, about 6" long!  Finally catching Coconut, I brought her in the house (Husband wasn't pleased) and cleaned her up.  I put some antibiotic eye goop from my sister on both eyes and dosed her with some VetRx. 

When I got home from work her eye seemed better, I could tell where her feathers around her ear lobes were still all gunky but her eye wasn't swollen or red anymore.  I caught her and rubbed more eye gel on her, and she went on her way!  She was acting fine the whole time and Oldest thinks she got bit by the salamander.  I don't think they do that, but she insisted she saw a video about it.  Today she seems to be fine too, I hope it was just a fluke thing! 

I didn't take this picture.  I rely on the DNR to photograph dangerous wildlife for me.  
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12145_12201-32988--,00.html


No comments:

Post a Comment