Friday, December 13, 2013

7 months later....

I GOT TWO EGGS TODAY!

The chickens are 22 1/2 weeks old today and this morning I found an egg lying in the shavings, I squealed so loudly the neighborhood dogs were all barking.  I initiated the Twilight Bark, except it was more like the Daybreak Bark.  When I got home from lunch I went to change the water and found ANOTHER egg lying in the run, covered in mud and poo.  I'm sure it was two of the Isa Browns, since for the last week they have been squatting everytime I came into the run.  The eggs are perfect.  Big, brown, even and have a beautiful smooth hard shell. 


The weather has been frightful, without getting above 20 for over a week, and no break in the cold in the 10 day forecast.   I really figured I wouldn't see an egg since spring, it has been frigid, but Isa Browns are apparently AWESOME at lying eggs.  Even in the cold.  I'm excited to see if there's anymore in the coop tomorrow and also to eat them for breakfast.  I considered bronzing them, but that seems a little excessive. 

I've decided to decorate a little, they seem to enjoy the run being festive. 



No comments:

Post a Comment