Monday, June 20, 2011

Fill-in beans





Monday the 13th I planted some fill in beans in spots that looked empty and lonely. They are just now sprouting, and hopefully staggered enough we can enjoy them longer. I'm thinking I also need to fill in some peas, I'm waiting until they train up the trellis a little more. Last year on 4th of July we were enjoying early beans and peas. It's hard to believe because this year the weather has been so cold, I feel like I got a late start, and then it took so long for everything to warm up. We're in for some hot, rainy days this week, I'm hoping that speeds things up. The potatoes don't need any help at all, they are growing so big!
We walked to the neighbors to share in his bounty of strawberries, with only 4 rows he has plenty, picking 14 pints in only 5 days! Unlike my strawberries, which the birds have discovered and ruined. I'm hopeful if I just leave them alone they will continue to take root and next year will be more productive and prosperous. Zucchini's right on track and the cucumber's just starting to climb. I found a little broccoli head yesterday, it was yellow and I'm hoping that's not a bad thing?





I enjoyed some lettuce out of the trays yesterday on some burgers, it was a little bitter, but I think I might have jumped the gun picking it too early. The picture is from last week, I can't believe how much it's grown in only 6 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment