Thursday, June 23, 2011

Storm







There was a big storm yesterday. It has been raining for 3 days now, and the temperatures are very low for this time of year. My tall potato plants got squashed in the rain, as did some of my poor sunflowers. I hope they can bounce back, but I think without the sun to raise them, they are lost.


Weirdly, the horizontal garden wasn't affected at all. The sunflowers in this garden are still upright and the broccoli, beans, and nasturitums are thriving. Maybe it's more protected by the trees behind it. Or maybe it's just coincidence.


My garden is not the only one that is suffering. I was at the local farmer's market yesterday (such good strawberries!) and two of the ladies were talking between their stalls. I was eavesdropping, and heard them remark all crops are 2 weeks behind, especially corn. It won't be "knee high by the 4th of July." I hope the real farmers have an Indian summer or they will be out a lot of crops and income.

No comments:

Post a Comment