Saturday, June 4, 2011

Getting Started



Here I am, with my own blog. If anyone ever reads this, for the record, I am keeping this blog/journal for myself, to remember what, when, where and why. I don't expect any readers, and I will post when I feel like it.
My garden is two 4'x12' boxes and one 4'x4' box. Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will.
Living in the woods, on a lake, it is difficult to find an area with good sun, so I decided to build the boxes (actually, I had Steve build them, I don't trust myself with power tools.) They are positioned on our drainage field, where nothing would grow, but got the best sun. It works perfectly. Today I'm excited because everything is sprouting. The Butternut squash was the last to come up, but today I noticed 2 sprouts, even though I planted 3. Here is what I'm planting, and the layout, from left to right, and top to bottom:
1st Horizontal box
Broccoli* (replanted from Weesies)
Nasturtium*
Butternut Squash*
Jalapeno Peppers* (replanted from Weesies)
Blue Lake Beans
Roma Tomatoes (replanted from Weesies)
Sunflowers*

2nd Vertical Box:
Sunflowers*
Peas
Pole Beans
Green Peppers (replanted from Weesies)
Bush Beans
Potatoes*

Small box:
Cucumbers
Zucchini

I also have two small portable planters with Spinach* and Lettuce* in them.

I also have two raspberry bushes I planted last year which are still alive and thriving!

I feel I planted too many potatoes. They are sprouting and spreading. I have room between the Green Peppers and the bush beans, I will plant more beans in a week or so so we can spread out the harvest. Last year I had just one box, and I feel like we needed more.

Along with the vegetables, I have Strawberries growing in the hanging baskets outside the front door. We have already picked one (small) Strawberry and split it 3 ways to share between the girls.

*New crop for me this year. Didn't plant last year.

I don't have a picture of the garden, so I'll just post this picture of an Eastern Screech Owl who hung out on our porch the other night.

No comments:

Post a Comment