Sunday, June 26, 2011

Vermicomposting

Last summer we had a "worm garden" in the back yard and for about 2 months it did really well, until it got hot and the worms baked. This year I started earlier, and kept the worms in the garage. It seems to be working better, except for the terrible fruit flies, which turn into nasty little black worms.
I used 2 plastic Sterilite bin; one with holes drilled into the bottom, sitting in the second one which collects the "juice." I think it's called compost tea. I got the worms from a local bait shop, I made sure they were local to my area, so when they are let free (like lots of little Willy's,) they won't destroy the ecosystem. I'd feel bad if I ruined Michigan because of my worms. The first two bins I emptied directly into the garden boxes. The garden boxes are too full to do now, so I emptied this last one onto my large compost pile in the yard. It also had weird black maggoty worms in it. I didn't like that part and I didn't want them to get by my garden. I'm letting the bucket dry out and hoping they will wriggle away. I was using a cardboard box topper on it, maybe I should use the air tight plastic topper if that will work better. I wonder if I can leave them in the garage in the winter too, do worms freeze?

No comments:

Post a Comment