Friday, July 1, 2011

Stupid Deer














So, a little set back in the garden. It was eaten by deer on Wednesday, and I stood in the middle and cried. Oldest thought I was a little crazy and started crying too (not sure if it was because she finally realized what a nutcase I am.) Anyway, after researching many methods, many of which have already been in place, I decided we need a fence. A BIG fence to go all around the garden, which measures 19'x25'. Went to Menards to look last night, and I found the last deer fence available. A 7' high by 100' long mesh fence for only $13! Yeah Menards! Now the only thing I need to decide on is the supports. The menard's man was trying to get us landscaping lumber, 8' high for only $1.97. That would require us to use a post hold digger and they are quite large. Major problem with this is the ground around the garden is rock hard (which is why we have raised beds!), and it also seems more permanent. I'm leaning towards rebar stakes we can just hammer in, major problem with these is they only come 7' high. The fence would either drape on the ground or hang over the top. A Willie Nelson-eque man came up to us with some wisdom while we were debating the merits of the deer fence, and he said it worked well but hummingbirds and dragonflys get caught in the mesh and we would have to free them. I said it's a small price to pay for no more deer!

Luckily it's a long weekend coming up so I will have time to put up a fence and replant the beans the deer stole. I'm most upset about my sunflowers, it's too late to replant them and they were doing so well! The deer didn't touch the zucchini, peas, or nasturtiums, but ate the tops off some potatoes, and the sides off the broccoli. They also ate 3 pepper plants down, but I'm hoping I can go to the local greenhouse and maybe they will have some mature plants I can purchase and replant. I know it's cheating, but I fully acknowledge that and I'm over it. I'm so excited my husband has agreed to help me with the fence. I guess it beats having to pee around the beds at night, like he has been doing (which also hasn't helped.)

No comments:

Post a Comment