Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Grower feed

I started the chicks on Grower feed mash today from the feed store.  They were so excited!  It's broiler non-GMO feed and it was $12 for 50 lbs.  They devoured it tonight, like it's a special treat!  They have also been devouring the spinach and lettuce in the garden, which is fine since I'm growing it for them, but they've also been helping themselves to bean and pea leaves.  I'm not so excited about that part.  I hope during the 4th of July break we can get the fence around the coop up.

I have some bad news too, Blueberry is taking after her sister and started gasping for breath, and not having much energy nor appetite.   I've been dosing them all with Fenbendazole for worms, and they're last dose will be tomorrow.   Everyone else is doing fine.  I dusted all the chicks for lice and mites Sunday and the lice were just pouring off Blueberry.  I'm not sure if it's because she's white and I could see them, or if there were just that many more on her because they prey on the weak.  So far I haven't seen any more, but the dust is still stuck on their skin. 

Yesterday I used the sprinklers for the first time this season, and today it rained a bunch again, so the summer has been nice and wet for the plants! 






No comments:

Post a Comment