Friday, June 14, 2013

Live and Learn. Cedar Creek Hatchery will never get my business again.

Here it is, 4:30 in the morning and I can't sleep because I'm coughing and feel awful about these chickens being sick.  I come downstairs to get water, go out to check the chicks, and Orange is lying dead.  She was getting better, eating, looked fine!  Waffles can barely move, hasn't eaten in days and can't even open her eyes.  I will be relieved when she dies just to get her out of there, even though it's so sad.

So, I go online, do some digging, why are all my chicks dying?   Every book I've read, every article I've read, all the guides, I have to be doing something wrong.  Until I find this.  And I think, maybe it's not me?  Could it be the chickens are somehow conditioned to die?  Weak genetics, is that even possible?  And yes, I guess it is.  Also, Cedar Creek Hatchery gets an F! in the better business bureau.  I should have done my research, they have terrible reviews all over the internet.  I learned my lesson.  I was so impressed with them being local and having such fancy, organic, non-GMO breeds.  Apparently they also don't sex the birds properly, so the ones that do live will probably be roosters.  Awesome!  I should have known they were skitterbag when I went up and they wouldn't let us behind the barn. And I should have known with blueberry's wonky feet.  Next year I am getting normal chickens from Marty at the feed store.  His are from Townline hatchery in Zeeland, and that is close enough for me.  

I guess the next step is getting the big chickens into their coop, the 4 big girls (I hope) seem fine.  Popcorn, Nugget, Nando, and Dumpling were outside in the garden all afternoon today and had a great time, it was perfect weather for them!   We went to Lowe's last night to get PVC pipe to make a feeder for them, and I am excited to get it installed.  I felt silly and awkward cleaning sewer pipe with the dishes tonight, but it needs to be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment