Friday, August 9, 2013

The Chicken Saga; season 2




Last night we said good-bye to Nugget.   A kind (I hope) lady came to pick him up to service her 6 hens.  She stuck him in the back of her truck, I hope he didn't fly away going down the road.  The girls were giving him lots of love before he left, but there were no tears last night.

Oldest and Neighbor saw a skunk in the woods as they were running between our houses yesterday, neighbor said she saw it behind our coop Wednesday when she came over to see if we were home too.  So, I'm thinking that's our culprit for Popcorn's murder.  I can try to trap and relocate it, but who wants to handle a skunk really.

The second batch of chicks were so anxious to get into the garden and play last night they jumped to the top of their brooder box and perched perilously on the edge of the cardboard.   Funny chicks.  I rearranged the wire top to stop them from trying when I'm not home.  

The coop's door is open to air it out, and I plan on completely cleaning it the next couple nights so I can paint it Sunday or Wednesday and get the new chicks in their new home.  They need more room!  

No comments:

Post a Comment