Saturday, April 26, 2014

Early Maturing

I have read that Leghorns, along with being the best egg producers, mature very fast.  The Leghorn, Esther, has proven this as she's the first one to sprout tail feathers at only 2 days old.  I realize when I took the cast pictures I had a dinner chicken instead of Esther for a photo, so here she is. 



It is very easy to tell the dinner chickens and the two yellow layer chicks apart now.  They are almost double the size!  I'll have to split them up soon as the dinner chickens will have to start rationing their food.  Hopefully tomorrow our outdoor pen for them will get done. 







All the chicks are doing well, one dinner chicken was sneezing some tonight but I looked at her nose and listened to her breathing and she seemed fine.  They figured out how to use the nipple waterer all by themselves!  They are so smart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment