Wednesday, April 30, 2014

One week old!

All 19 chickens are still alive and growing one week later!  The layers and broilers were separated after 5 days as the broilers were pooping everywhere and twice the size already.  It's true that all they do is eat, sleep and poop.  I have been taking their food away for 8 hours at night, and in the morning they are ravenous.  3 broilers are sneezing occasionally and look like their eyes are goopy, but everyone else is doing okay.  I'm wondering if that's just because they are close to the bedding all the time and haven't gotten fresh air.  My hope is to get them outside this weekend a little bit when it warms up.  I have added vitamins to their water and none of them seem to be lacking energy or not eating. 
The layers are so much cuter.  They're wing and tail feathers are developing and I'm excited to see the new colors.  The layers have had no health issues, they have been living in the dark, but the top of the box is open and they run around all day and duck under the brooder when needed.  I added a roosting stick to the box last night, only the leghorn had it figured out.  Those leghorns do develop quickly! 




Two Welsummers.  The one on bottom's wings are not developed at all like Her two SISTERS.  I'm hoping they're all sisters!



The layers are still using the nipple waterer, they prefer it over the jar waterer I also have in the box. 






No comments:

Post a Comment