Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Meet the Cast of Season Three

19 new chickens arrived yesterday morning!  Oldest and I picked them up from the feed store before school, we were the first ones there and got the first chicks out of the (many) boxes!  So far, so good.  I am so happy with these chicks.  I again got them from Townline Hatchery and was excited to see they got a new breed for 2014!   The Welsummer is only available in straight run, so I got three hoping for one hen.  Although, my luck I will get three boys.  One of the "Welsummers" looks nothing like the others and not like any of the pictures of the breed online.  I have a feeling Marty may have grabbed the wrong chick?  Or it's a rooster.  Either way, I'm excited to see how it turns out. 
Adding to the excitement this season are meat chickens.  I ordered 10 Cornish Cross which I am planning on using the pasteurized method to raise.  So far they are always at the feed and drinker, but I guess that's their job. 
I'm also excited to use my EcoBrooder this year.  When I set it up I thought  there was no way the chickens would fit underneath it because it sits so low to the floor, but they actually have to stand on their toes to reach the heat!  I added a towel last night and that made them much more comfortable.  They have started jumping on the top of it, which means it's being used right! 

And now, without further ado, here are the Layers!
One of the Aruacanas.  Either E.T. or Downy

Rhode Island Red

Ginger

Welsummer 1: Ramona

Welsummer 2: Beezus

This could be a White Leghorn named Esther or a Cornish Cross named dinner.

Mystery Chick that's supposed to be a Welsummer

Kip

Amber Link named Gypsy

Australorp named Matilda.  She looks sad but she's really cute and calm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment