Friday, July 19, 2013

Flyers

The chicks are 10 days old today and they have started jumping/flying up onto the food and water dispensers and hop up like they want to fly out of the box.   Because they're so healthy.  I added hardware cloth over the top to prevent any runaways.  They have wing and tail feathers growing in and are not in the "cute" chick stage, but more like the "Gangly" chick stage.  They're still cute though.   And alive!  I put the stick in for them a week early, and they've figured it out already!  It's been over 90 everyday so I've been leaving the brooder lamp off, and they seem fine with it.  All their poop is foamy every time and I'm not sure why.  I added some ACV to the water, but I'm wondering why. 








I have been taking care of a friend's 29 chickens, 8 of them are meat chickens.   They are so awkward, and HEAVY.   She also has two silkies which I see no point in at all.   They are flighty and I have had to chase her around the coop both nights just to get her in. 

It has been so hot and the garden is not thriving.  My broccoli from Weesies has not grown at all, but yet it's not dead either?  Squashes are growing good and then of course the beans that the rabbits have gorged on.  I think I will get some tomatoes, and the pumpkins are still quite small.  Surprisingly, all the seed plants I started inside are not thriving near as well as those direct sown into the ground.   A lesson for next year. 

The big chickens have been free ranging all week, they are like my guinea pigs to see how it goes.  So far they've done great, follow me around and stay close to the house.  Nando has a problem finding his way into the coop at dark, but the other cluckers got it down!  They seem to really like being out all day. 

Dumpling is still the calmest, Popcorn lets me hold him everytime but gets nervous once I have him.  Dumpling is so calm and likes to roost on my arm.  


No comments:

Post a Comment