Tuesday, July 9, 2013

New chicks, New beans!

Today I picked up 6 day old chicks from the feed store in town, they get them from Townline Hatchery in Zeeland.  3 barred rocks and 3 Isa browns.  That's all the hatchery had available at this time.   I just hope they're all pullets. I already have too many roosters!   I'm beginning to think Dumpling, the ameraucana, is a rooster as well.  Wouldn't surprise me any.  I'm already impressed because Marty, the owner of the feed store, called me right at 8:15 and told me my chicks had arrived!   The first thing I noticed is how little and fluffy they are.   Like they all got dry cleaned before they came to me!  I don't remember the first chicks ever being this little.  Their wing feathers are not developed at all, which I distinctly remember the guy at Cedar Creek showing me two layers of feathers on the "sexed" chicks.  So far, everyone's eating and drinking and peeping a lot.  They are also obviously pooping a lot.   They seem much livelier than the first batch ever were.  You should have heard the girl's squeals when I opened the box!

I'm starting to think the first batch of chicks were not a day-old, as I was told, but more like 3 or 4 days old.  These chicks are SO SMALL and their wings have no feathers.  They just have fluff.   They also have egg teeth on their beaks, none of my other chicks had those! I bought leg bands for the chicks to tell them apart, but unfortunately their legs are too small and they just slipped off.   I guess there will be no way to tell them apart until they grow a little bit. 





My big chickens look absolutely ginormous next to the chicks.  They are doing fine.  They are roosters.  I dusted them for lice again tonight.  Hoping they don't spread it! 
After the stem fest my beans were having, they have now sprouted new leaves and flowers, so I'm still hopeful!   I'm thankful for all the rain and heat we've had the last week, it has really sprung everything into high growth.  My pumpkins are spreading, along with all the varieties of squash.


No comments:

Post a Comment