Sunday, July 14, 2013

So Easy

I am so surprised at how much easier taking care of the chicks are now the second time around.  Maybe it's like a second child, where everything's more "Meh."  They are thriving and I feel like I haven't spent near the amount of time with them as before.  All 6 chicks have their wing feathers growing in and a couple have tail feathers coming in too.  I added sawdust to their box today and elevated the water, since they're almost a week old already! 
 We named the other two Isa Browns Peanut and Paprika.  Paprika has the stripe by her eye and browner wings. 




It's been so hot, that the garden has really taken off.  The squashes especially have had a growth spurt.  I found another chipmunk in my garden, climbing the tomato plants.  I chased him out and hit him with a soaker hose.  Maybe I've given him enough of a scare he won't come back. 

The old girls are suffering through the heat, I made a tent out of their old brooder box to stay under the shade, but then they kept getting out of the garden, so I haven't put them back in.  I know Nugget, the Marans, is a rooster, but I'm still on the fence about the other 3.  Maybe they just have developed combs.   I don't know what to look for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment