Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Grubs, Rabbits, and Peas

I feel bad for my last post blaming my chickens for eating my crops when really it has been old fluffy tail.  The other night I went out and a rabbit was frantically running around the inside of the garden, trying to get out.  Finally it slipped under the fence and got away.  I put a log down where I saw it get out, but the next day all I have are bean sticks.  It's like a bean stick forest :(   I also found a chipmunk hole right underneath the bean bed, so I figure they are a lost cause AGAIN this year.   Mouse traps may have to be called for. 


 The chickens are 9 weeks old today!  No one has crowed yet, but I'm certain the big three are roosters.  I'm even wondering if Dumpling, the Amerucana is too.  I did the wing test, where you hold up their wings and let their feet hang, pullets are supposed to tuck their feet up, and roosters will drop their feet down.  All 4 of mine dropped their legs.  Dumpling has no noticeable comb or wattles, but I'm not sure if Amerucanas are supposed to!  Other than that they are doing well.  I'm keeping them in the coop and have decided before my new chicks (6 days!) get put into the coop I will completely clean and paint the interior.  It may be a good thing my run is not done, that way I have no contamination between the two batches.   My new chicks will not be foraging in the garden this year, maybe next.


I did find some nasty grubs when I was weeding/raking today.   There were pockets of them throughout the garden, but mostly where I had the cardboard down last year over part of the garden.  I got over 20 grubs out into a bucket, and the girls helped me find them in the dirt.  They were nasty, and from what I found online they appear to be Japanese Beetle larvae.   Which makes sense, but not something I am happy about.  I put DE in the bucket with the dirt and larvae, I hope that takes care of them, otherwise I will pour boiling water over them tomorrow.  

 We harvested 3 peas today, the girls fought over them, hopefully more soon.  The potatoes never flowered, but the stems have fallen down and turned yellow, so they should be ready to harvest soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment